Sunday 7 September 2008

The time is flying by

My leg now seems almost completely mended, just a little tight in both achilles at times. A few months ago I had hoped to be doing an ultra distance event this weekend. The niggling injuries really put an end to this hope. I've still got plenty of time to get desert fit, but feel i need the mental prep of being out in difficult conditions for a long time. I really want to experience the suffering before i get there!!!

I have therefore entered the Brecon Beacons Ultra (http://www.beaconsultra.com/) on 6th December. This should be a good 45 miles of misery. It'll also give me a chance to meet some of my potential tent mates in person, as quite a few from themds forum are going along too. No doubt i'll end up buying some kit from http://www.likeys.com/ while there.



My previous Ironman experience should help with my nutrition, hydration and hour upon hour of exerting myself, but swimming and cycling helped balance the abuse your body takes. Being on my feet and carrying all my kit for the duration will be totally different.


Recent training.


Sunday 24th August - Walked the 1 mile uphill to the Greenock Cut. Had a backpack weighing about 4kg, made up of kit and drinks. Did 2 laps of Overton-Cornalees along the cut and back over the road by Loch Thom. Just over 7 miles a lap, then allowed gravity to take me the mile back home. So about 16.5 miles. Think i got a bit carried away.










The pictures were taken on another day.

Monday 25th - 20km cycling
Tuesday - 4 miles running
Wednesday - 6 miles running
Thursday - rest
Friday - 7 miles running
Saturday - 10 miles running
Sunday - 75km cycling

Monday 1st Sept - 20km cycling
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - 4 miles running
Thursday - rest
Friday - 25km cycling
Saturday - rest

I've been a bit Knackered this week and decided i wont be doing the Great Scottish Run. Will need to follow a schedule of less random training following my holidays. We're off to the Dominican Republic on Wednsday for a fortnights all inclusive. The weather there has become more favourable and hopefully no further tropical storms will come nearby. Here's where we're staying http://www.riu.com/en/clubhotel-riu-bachata-puerto-plata-dominican-republic.html.

I hope to not come back looking like a tellytubby. The running shoes will be coming and there are a few other sports i'll be looking to get in to too.

Adios

1 comment:

Dan said...

Hey Alan,

Cheers for the comment, much appreciated. Like I said, I think a lot of it is mental too. I had a terrible July and August, injury and illness all the time, but it's amazing how much of it you can hold, and how a good race can get you back on track. I went into my first ultra back in arly September with little expectation and it turned out OK, and that seems to ahve been the catalyst to get things back on track. For the marathon just gone, it was just sheer bloody mindedness that made me do it... I promised myself that I wasn't coming back without a sub 3:30! All the best for the Brecon ultra, I'm sure you'll kill it! As for the hot weather, believe me, when you're pushing your body to the limit, it ain't nice! TRaining in it at a nice even pace is lovely, busting your heart rate to 175bpm in 28 degrees is horrible... there were a lot of casualties on Sunday!