Saturday 23 August 2008

The runner returns

Since last posting almost 1 month ago, i did another couple of bike rides before Elaine, Ross, Kirsty and myself headed off to Bournemouth for a few days. My intention was to attempt a couple of runs on the beach but ended up not bothering. We did a fair amount of walking and i definitely benefitted from the relative rest.


Upon returning i tried a 4 mile run on the Wednesay(August 6th, i think). No real probs so decided to treat myself to new running shoes. Next day, i went to Achilles Heel, Glasgow to have my gait looked at as i'd not had them do this for a few years. There was the ususal pronation problem and it was suggested i could try some orthotic inserts.

Ker-ching, one born every minute.

I wore these for a couple of weeks and there were some adjustment issues but no major concerns initially. One particulr pain was just how hard they feel on your soles after 5-6 miles running. Towards the end of this period i was also having some hip and shin pain. They have now been ditched and my runs without them have been fine.

I'm struggling to remember, again, just what i've done.

Wednesday August 6th- 4miles running
Thursday - 4 miles running( orthotics in)
Friday - 6 miles running
Saturday - rest
Sunday - some form of run

Monday 11th - ? a bike ride
Tuesday - 6miles threshold run
Wednesday - 7 miles off road
Thursday - 6 miles hill run repeats, 200m swimming cool down
Friday - rest
Saturday - 6 miles run, 20km bike
Sunday - 10 miles run

Monday 18th - 25ish km bike
Tuesday - 6 miles threshhold run(orthotics out)
Wednesday - 7 miles run off road
Thursday - 45 km bike
Friday - rest

I've also now got myself into the habit of doing some regular core work, squats, lunges et al. My tits now appear to be reducing in size. That's good news, not a complaint.

I may give the Great Scottish run a go on 7th September.

1 comment:

Rach's MdS said...

Glad you're back on track. Lots of running being done (puts me to shame) and glad the moobs are reducing in size ;0)

Thanks for the message about socks. I saw the toe socks on Likeys site and will definitely invest in some. The injinis are all well and good but very thick and my feet felt very restricted. I'll give them a go - worth a shot!!

THe list is growing by the day. Not sure how I'm going to pay for all this stuff....!